CBD gummies are edible sweets that contain CBD. They’re one of the newer CBD products on the market, but they’re quickly gaining popularity as a tastier, more convenient alternative to CBD oils. We created ZenBears, our own CBD gummies with a health-friendly spin on our favourite gummy bear sweets!
How do CBD gummies work?
CBD is short for cannabidiol which is a chemical known as a cannabinoid, and it’s one of many found in the hemp plant. Hemp contains fatty acids, waxes and vitamins, along with chemicals called terpenes and flavonoids. Cannabinoids are messengers in a complex system called the Endocannabinoid System (ECS), which is responsible for keeping your body in a state of homeostasis. When you take something containing a cannabinoid, like CBD, it acts on your ECS in a similar way to your own cannabinoids.
How should you use CBD gummies?
You should use CBD gummies by taking one 1 gummy at a time about 15-30 minutes before the desired effect.
Are CBD Gummies as good as CBD oil?
Yes, CBD gummies are just as good as CBD oil. CBD gummies help you to better control your CBD dosage which is not so easily achieved using a dropper. CBD gummies are also better in flavour than CBD oil which can make talking about your daily CBD dosage much easier.
What are the different types of CBD gummies?
The different types of CBD in CBD gummies can be found on labels highlighting “full-spectrum”, “broad-spectrum” and “CBD isolate”. The different types of CBD are listed below.
- “Full-spectrum” means that when the hemp oil was extracted, nothing was removed before it was used to make CBD gummies. It still contains all of the cannabinoids and other healthful compounds. This creates what’s known as the entourage effect, where all of the chemicals amplify each other to deliver an even bigger effect.
- “Broad-spectrum” means that nothing was removed except for THC. Also known as tetrahydrocannabinol, THC is another cannabinoid found in hemp. It’s also found in cannabis in higher amounts, and it’s responsible for the “high” feeling.
- “CBD isolates” means that only the CBD was extracted from the oil and used to make CBD gummies. This is ideal for people who just want pure, concentrated CBD, although CBD isolate doesn’t provide the entourage effect of full- or broad-spectrum gummies.
Even though full-spectrum CBD gummies can’t legally contain enough THC to get you high, some people just prefer to avoid it altogether. They still get some of the benefits of the entourage effect from broad-spectrum CBD gummies, but they don’t have to worry about THC.
How are CBD gummies made?
CBD gummies are usually made with gelatin or pectin to give them that chewy texture. Gelatin is an animal product, so if you’re vegan, you’ll want to go for plant-derived pectin gummies instead. Thankfully, most CBD gummies we’ve come across (including ZenBears, of course!) are pectin-based, so you should have no problem finding a delicious, vegan-friendly option.
In your CBD gummies, you’ll also find:
- A sweetener like sugar, syrup or glucose.
- Flavourings and colourings like natural fruit juice.
- A stabiliser like citric acid.
To make CBD gummies, all of these ingredients are mixed together. CBD is usually mixed after the cooking process to avoid damage to the CBD structure.
Coating the gummy means that more of the CBD is absorbed right away in your mouth. Once you swallow the gummy, the remaining CBD has to go through your digestive system. It takes longer to reach your bloodstream and you lose some along the way. With our coating, you get more CBD, and you get it faster.
Can CBD sweets make you high?
No. CBD sweets cannot make you high. This is because CBD has no THC. CBD is, in fact, non psychotropic.
Can I make CBD gummies myself?
Yes, lots of people do. Aside from CBD, you can buy all the ingredients you need at the supermarket or on Amazon. The recipe itself is fairly straightforward. If you’re interested in making your own CBD gummies, check out our article here with recipes and tips.
Should you make your own CBD gummies, though? Well, we’re not convinced. It can be quite tricky to get the CBD dosage right. Depending on what else you want to add, you’re unlikely to get achieve the correct dosage. Homemade CBD gummies often have an unpleasant flavour because the CBD flavour is strong.
ZenBears contain a guaranteed 20mg of CBD per bear and use natural flavourings and colourings with no unnecessary additives. The advantage of choosing ZenBears so they are every bit as healthy as homemade gummies. They’re made in an ISO-certified facility, so the safety and quality are top-notch.