Gummies are traditionally made with sugar, glucose syrup, starch, food colourings and flavourings, citric acid and gelatin. Most kids don’t care about the health aspect as long as their candies are sweet and yummy. But adults can appreciate gummy treats that are healthier as these sweet treats can be so addicting.
Below is a recipe for the best homemade healthy gummies recipe your whole family will love.
What makes these gummy bears healthy?
Gummy candies can be bought in almost all candy stores. However, like any other candies, store-bought gummy bears contain more sugar, artificial dyes and flavourings. If you make your gummy bears, you can control the ingredients and make them healthier.
For this recipe, instead of using artificial dyes and flavourings, we can use fresh fruits or even frozen fruits to make these healthy gummy bears.
What do I need to make homemade gummies?
It’s not difficult to make your gummies at home. You can make these with your children as you will only need a few simple tools to make this healthy snack.
You will only need a saucepan, a whisk, a cookie sheet, a dropper and a silicone mould of your choice.
For this recipe, you will only need four ingredients.
|Homemade Healthy Gummies|
|Prep Time: 10 minutes|
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Additional Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 50 gummies
1 ½ cups fruit juice
4 tbsp. gelatin powder
2-4 tbsp. raw honey (depending on your preference)
½ tsp. vanilla extract
Recipe step by step instructions
It would take a total of 25 minutes to make these healthy gummies including the preparation time. There will also be an additional 30 minutes of refrigeration to let the gummies form. A serving of this recipe will make 50-75 gummies depending on the size of the mould you’re using.
- First, pour the fruit juice of your choice into a small-medium saucepan.
- Next, sprinkle the gelatin over the top and let it sit for a few minutes until it starts to bloom. You will know it’s ready when it starts getting wrinkly looking on the surface and the powdered gelatin has fully absorbed into the liquid. Mix it well.
- Next, place the saucepan over medium heat on the stove. Let the liquid warm for a few minutes to dissolve the mixture but don’t let it boil. The mixture should be thin and runny.
- To sweeten, add the honey and vanilla extract.
- Next, pour the mixture into a jar or a measuring cup. Don’t let it sit as the mixture will quickly firm up.
- Next, use your dropper to fill your silicone mould.
- Place your mould in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
What Kind of mould do I need?
Most silicone molds will work with this recipe. You can use different mold shapes and sizes like the classic gummy bear molds, gem molds and dinosaur molds. Your kids will love this. Some molds also come with a dropper. Make sure to choose 100% food-grade silicone molds that are non-stick, and are BPA free.
Top tips for making homemade healthy gummies
This recipe is easy and simple. If you want to add in some healthy ingredients or just experiment with flavours to make them even more tasty, here are some tips on how you can make them extra delicious!
- You can combine different fruit juices to create colourful gummies including apple juice, orange juice, grapefruit juice, and more. Avoid using pineapple, kiwi, mango, ginger root, papaya, figs, or guava juice as these contain enzymes that will prevent gelatin from setting firmly
- You can also add additional sweeteners like stevia or granulated sugar to make them sweeter and tastier. If you prefer using a more natural type of sugar, you can use coconut sugar.
- You can also make these gummies your natural multivitamins for you and your kids. You may add essential oils like peppermint oil to help with upset tummies, elderberry syrup to help with congestion & coughs, and turmeric for natural pain relief.
- You can also use CBD oil to make your gummy treats healthier. CBD is extracted from hemp plants but unlike THC, it’s not psychoactive and will not cause you to feel the high. CBD is commonly used to help with chronic pain, anxiety, and insomnia.
How long do homemade gummies last
Make sure you store your gummies in an airtight container whether you’re planning to store them for a few weeks or eat them within a few days. Storing them in the refrigerator will make them last longer, up to 2 to 3 weeks.
If you’re planning to eat them within a few days, make sure to keep them in a dry and cool place. Avoid storing them in a place where the sun shines. Know that unrefrigerated gummies will last for about 5 days even if you store them in an airtight container.
Either way, make sure you store them in an airtight container.
What other gummy bear recipes are there?
There are a lot of gummy bear recipes you can do at home with your kids. Here are some gummy bear recipes by ZenBears, a popular brand that offers a variety of delicious gummy treats.
This delicious gummy bear chamoy recipe is made with apricot jam, lime juice, red pepper, chilli pepper, salt, gummy bears and Tajin. Mix all the ingredients in a blender to make the chamoy sauce then blend them all on medium speed until the mixture becomes smooth. Combine ⅓ of the chamoy sauce and the Tajin with the gummy bears. Mix everything. Pour the mixture into a baking sheet. You can sprinkle more Tajin if desired. Enjoy!
This dark chocolate covered gummy bear recipe is perfect if you want to make a sweet and delectable dessert that is a healthier and more adult alternative to regular chocolate-covered gummy bears. To make this, heat your dark chocolate using a microwave-safe bowl then pop it in the microwave for1 minute until fully melted. You can also heat your chocolate using a bain-marie or melt it over on a saucepan. Stir your chocolate as you add your heavy cream in small aunts until fully combined. Next, insert toothpicks in your gummy bears then dip them into the melted dark chocolate. Put it in a sheet of parchment paper then let it cool down. Place them in your refrigerator for an hour or 2. Enjoy!
If you want to try making something that is not only delicious but also offers health benefits, then this elderberry syrup gummy bears recipe is perfect for you. First, make sure that your gummy bear moulds are coated with coconut oil before starting. Next, place ¼ of the elderberry syrup in a measuring cup then add in your gelatin powder in small doses while whisking. Make sure that your gelatin is fully dissolved to prevent clumps. Lastly, add ½ cup of hot water then continue to stir. Grab your gummy bear moulds then pour in your mixture. Let the mixture cool down. Enjoy!