CBD gummies are one of our favourite ways to enjoy the benefits of CBD. If you love them as much as we do, you might have wondered: how easy is it to make CBD gummies at home?
Good news! In this article, we’re sharing one of our favourite recipes for tasty, fruity, all-natural CBD gummies. You’ll have to do a few calculations (sorry!) and gather a few ingredients, but when you’ve got what you need, whipping up a batch of delicious, homemade CBD gummies is surprisingly simple.
You should be able to find lots of great gummy moulds on Amazon or elsewhere online. This recipe makes about 40 standard gummy-bear-sized sweets, but of course, that’s going to vary depending on the size of the mould you buy.
That’s one of the reasons we suggest doing a test run of this recipe without the CBD. You’ll know exactly how many gummies it makes with your mould, so you’ll be able to accurately work out the dosage of CBD per sweet (more on that in a sec).
The second reason is that you might have to tweak your ingredients and method a couple of times to get your gummies exactly how you want them. With a test run, you can do this without wasting your CBD oil.
What CBD oil should I use?
There are three different types of CBD oil you can use: full-spectrum, broad-spectrum or isolate. Here’s what that means…
When hemp oil is extracted from the hemp plant, it contains a cocktail of cannabinoids (like CBD), vitamins, minerals, flavonoids, terpenes, fatty acids and other natural goodies. This oil is then processed and used to make CBD products, like CBD oil.
If none of these natural compounds are removed from the oil, it’s called full-spectrum. Some people prefer full-spectrum CBD because of the entourage effect. This essentially means that when all of the plant’s natural compounds are present, the beneficial effects are amplified.
To make broad-spectrum CBD oil, a cannabinoid called THC is removed, but nothing else. THC is also found in marijuana in larger quantities, and it’s responsible for the high feeling you get when you smoke cannabis.
Even though you won’t find enough THC in full-spectrum oil to get you high, some people just prefer to avoid it altogether. With broad-spectrum, you can do that and still get some of the benefits of the entourage effect.
Finally, CBD isolate means that the CBD was extracted from the hemp oil on its own, with none of the THC or other natural compounds. That includes terpenes, which are responsible for the earthy taste of full-spectrum and broad-spectrum oil. If the taste doesn’t appeal to you, or you simply just want the benefits of CBD on its own, then isolate might be a good choice for you.
How much CBD oil should I use?
So we warned you there’d be some maths — here it is! The quantity of CBD oil you use in this recipe will depend on a couple of things:
- • The number of gummies your mould makes (hence the test run!).
- • The type and strength of CBD you use.
- • How much CBD you want each gummy to have.
When you buy a CBD oil, the label will show the total CBD in the bottle, and the CBD per ml. For example, if a 10ml bottle of oil contains 1000mg of CBD in total, there will be 100mg of CBD in every 1ml of oil.
If you’re new to CBD, we recommend aiming for about 10mg of CBD per gummy so that you can start low and build up slowly. If you prefer higher doses, we recommend about 20mg per gummy. Any higher, and a batch of gummies will be crazy expensive to make! This way, you can increase your dose by simply eating more gummies.
So let’s say you’ve bought a 10ml bottle of 1000mg oil and you know your recipe makes 40 gummies. You’d like each gummy to contain 20mg of CBD.
1000mg / 10ml = 100mg of CBD per ml
40 gummies x 20mg of CBD per gummy = 800mg of CBD total
If your 1000mg bottle contains 100mg of CBD per ml, then:
800mg / 100mg = 8ml
You’ll need to add 8ml of your CBD oil to the recipe.
Here’s another example: you’ve bought a 20ml bottle of 500mg oil, and you want to make 30 gummies with 10mg of CBD each.
500mg / 20ml = 25mg of CBD per ml
30 gummies x 10mg of CBD per gummy = 300mg of CBD total
If your 500mg bottle contains 25mg of CBD per ml, then:
300mg / 25mg = 12ml
You need to add 12ml of your CBD oil to the recipe.
The packaging of the oil should tell you how many drops per ml, although keep in mind that this isn’t completely precise.
TIP: Lots of CBD oils are flavoured. Either go with a “natural” (unflavoured) oil, or choose one that will go nicely with your chosen fruit flavours.
Making your CBD gummies
Now that you’re stocked up and ready to go, here’s how to make your CBD gummies:
- 1. Whizz the fruit in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- 2. Mix the pureed fruit, water and honey in a saucepan over a low/medium heat.
- 3. Whisk the mixture gently and bring to a low simmer. It’s important to keep the heat low so as not to damage the compounds in the CBD oil.
- 4. Start to whisk in the gelatin little by little.
- 5. Add your CBD oil little by little.
- 6. Keep at a low simmer and continue to whisk until all the ingredients are mixed and the gelatin has dissolved.
- 7. Sieve the mixture to remove any fruit or gelatin pieces.
- 8. Pour the mixture into the gummy moulds and give each one a little stir to remove any air bubbles. Try to do this quickly so that the oil doesn’t separate from the mixture.
- 9. Put the gummies in the fridge to set for at least six hours.
- 10. Once set, remove the gummies from the mould and put them in an airtight container in the fridge. They should keep for 10-12 days. 1.
Can I make my gummies vegan?
Yes! Gelatin and honey are both animal products so if you’re vegan, these will be a hard no for you. To make your CBD gummies vegan-friendly, simply swap the gelatin with pectin or agar powder, and swap the honey with sugar, agave nectar, stevia, or another sweetener of your choice. You probably won’t find pectin or agar at your local supermarket, but you should be able to find them easily online.
Are there any downsides?
It’s fairly straightforward to make your own CBD gummies, but should you? We’re not just saying this because we want you to buy ZenBears – promise! – but we would almost always recommend buying from a reputable seller over making your own. Here’s why…
- 1. Dosage
- Even though there’s a simple formula for working out how much CBD oil you need, it’s hard to accurately measure it out with those CBD oil droppers. When you buy ready-made gummies, though, each gummy is pre-dosed, and you can confirm the amount by looking at the third-party lab reports that reputable brands provide.
- 2. Convenience
- Formulas. Test runs. Ingredient shopping. Cooking. Setting. Sounds like a lot of time and effort to us! In the time it took you to calculate your CBD content, you could have bought a jar of ZenBears — no maths needed!
- 3. Price
- At first glance, it looks like you’re saving money by doing it yourself. However, when you factor in the cost of fresh fruit, CBD oil, gummy moulds, and ingredients like pectin, you’ve racked up quite the bill. Because we make large quantities of gummies, brands like ZenBears can offer much more competitive prices.
- 4. All-natural ingredients
- People often go for homemade CBD gummies because they like to know what they’re putting in their bodies. And so they should! We totally support being choosy when it comes to your health, which is why ZenBears are made with 100%-vegan, all natural ingredients and feature no artificial anything. They’re every bit as healthy as homemade gummies, but a million times more convenient.
- 5. Bioavailability
- Most CBD gummies, including homemade ones, are made by adding CBD to the mixture. When you chew the gummy, you absorb some of the CBD into your bloodstream straight away via the blood vessels in your mouth. However, much of it is swallowed and has to pass through your digestive system to reach the bloodstream. It takes longer to kick in, and you also lose some along the way.
- ZenBears uses a special pharmaceutical coating of CBD instead, so much more of the CBD is absorbed in your mouth. In other words, you get more CBD, and you get it faster. But unless you’re hiding a secret lab in your kitchen, you probably wouldn’t be able to do this at home!
- 6. Taste
- Finally, one of the major advantages of ready-made CBD gummies over homemade options is the taste. In our experience, home-made gummies just don’t taste as good, and the texture can be a little strange too. ZenBears, on the other hand, have been voted the UK’s Best CBD Gummies, so you can be pretty confident they taste fantastic!
- If you do decide to make your own gummies, we’re sure you’ll enjoy our recipe. But we say: skip the hassle, get yourself some ZenBears, and then sit back and chill.
Can't be bothered with the effort of making gummies?
You can grab your next CBD fix right here and maybe add a little merch in there to be Zen on the inside and out…