The first numbers (systolic pressure) measure the pressure in your arteries while your heartbeats. The second number (diastolic pressure) measures the pressure in your arteries between beats. The normal blood pressure of a person is depending on age but the estimated blood pressure of adults is 120/80. High blood pressure can go for years without symptoms that may increase your risk of serious health problems including heart attack and heart failure. Fortunately, blood pressure can be easily detected. Some of the symptoms of high blood pressure are headaches, shortness of breath or nosebleeds, but don’t usually occur until the high blood pressure has become severe. Common medications for high blood pressure include diuretics, ACE inhibitors and calcium channel blockers but some research studies indicate that products containing CBD may also help with lowering blood pressure.
CBD, or Cannabidiol, is a compound extracted from hemp plants. It is known to treat a wide variety of health issues such as stress, anxiety, depression, insomnia, asthma, autism, inflammation, chronic pain, and epilepsy. Unlike THC, which is a psychoactive ingredient found in cannabis plants, CBD is not psychoactive and will not cause you to feel high. Some research suggests that CBD also works in treating high blood pressure Although some researchers acknowledge the beneficial effects of CBD for high blood pressure, more research is needed to fully understand how it might help and as to not experience side effects such as dry mouth, nausea, appetite loss, and diarrhoea. The dosing of CBD typically ranges from 5 mg to 25 mg a day and can increase depending on your doctor’s suggestion. Do not take CBD without consulting your doctor first.
What are the Causes of High Blood Pressure that CBD can Help?
Research studies suggest that CBD works as a treatment for high blood pressure as it interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid system which is responsible for regulating processes in the body including appetite and digestion, metabolism, pain, mood, sleep, and motor control. The common causes of high blood pressure are: being overweight, smoking, lack of physical activity, stress, older age, sleep apnea, and also chronic kidney disease. Studies have shown that CBD binds with the cannabinoid receptors in the nervous system which affects the endocannabinoid receptor activity, reducing inflammation, relaxing your airways, and can improve your whole well-being.
What are the Types of Hypertension that CBD can Help?
There are two types of high blood pressure that CBD can help.
1. Primary Hypertension
Primary, or essential hypertension that doesn’t have a known secondary cause. Most high blood pressure cases are classified as essential hypertension. Genetic factors play a role in primary hypertension including diet, stress, lack of physical activity, and being overweight.
2. Secondary Hypertension
Secondary hypertension happens in about 10% of people with high blood pressure. Secondary hypertension is caused by another medical condition that can affect your kidneys, arteries, heart, or endocrine system. Secondary can also occur during pregnancy.
What are the Hypertension Symptoms that CBD Can Help with?
Some symptoms of high blood pressure include stress, anxiety, lack of sleep, fatigue. Some studies also suggest that CBD heightens and focus and concentration which could also help with balancing blood pressure levels.
- Stress. Stress is a human reaction that can when there are situations or events that put pressure on us and feelings we get when we have demands placed on us that we find difficult to cope with. CBD may relieve stress by modifying serotonin levels which is a hormone that stabilizes our mood, feelings of well-being and happiness.
- Anxiety. Anxiety, just like stress is a human that occurs when placed in a difficult situation. It’s a feeling of fear and apprehension about what’s to come. But unlike stress, anxiety is persistent and might not go away even in the absence of a stressor. CBD helps with anxiety the same way it does with stress, by modifying serotonin levels in the body.
- Lack of Sleep. Lack of sleep or insomnia is a sleep disorder in which you have trouble falling or and/or staying asleep. This condition can be short-term or may last longer. CBD helps with insomnia by controlling cortisol levels, which is a stress hormone that usually peaks in the morning. People with insomnia may have elevated cortisol levels at night which causes wakefulness.
- Fatigue. Fatigue is a feeling of tiredness or lack of energy. When you have fatigue, you have no motivation and no energy. CBD helps improve issues that affect your energy levels.
- Focus and Concentration. Difficulties in concentrating and/or focusing can be caused by a lot of factors including lack of sleeping, anxiety, or stress. CBD helps improve attentiveness by stimulating a response from the dopamine receptors. These receptors act as neurotransmitters and are responsible for memory and focus.
What are the Studies that Show CBD Effects on High Blood Pressure?
Some studies suggest that products containing CBD may help lower blood pressure, but more research is still needed. A study in 2017 looked at the effects of a single dose of CBD in healthy participants. The researchers found that CBD lowered blood pressure in participants who were at rest and those under stress. Another study conducted in 2020 found that CBD may have vasodilatory effects in human and rat arteries which may improve a person’s blood flow and widen their blood vessels.
How does CBD Help to Regulate High Blood Pressure?
High blood pressure can naturally be lowered by reducing stress, salt intake, consumption of alcohol and tobacco, and exercising. Studies are now linking CBD to reducing blood pressure. For many people, CBD oil has fewer side effects than other prescription medications, too. According to Rebecca Park, a registered nurse and founder of RemediesForMe.com, CBD lowers blood pressure by reducing cortisol levels and dilating blood vessels, allowing more blood flow and leading to lower blood pressure. A study was conducted on 11 participants wherein they were given a single dose of 600 mg CBD oil and the results showed that CBD reduced resting blood pressure compared to placebo medication.
Does CBD Decrease Heart Rate?
The normal heart rate for healthy adults ranges from 60 to 100 bpm. A high heart rate can be caused by weak heart muscles caused by a virus or a problem that forces your heart to beat more often to pump enough blood to the rest of the body. In a study conducted in 2009, rats were subjected to a stressful environment that caused their heart rate and blood pressure to increase. Results found that a single dose of CBD lowered their heart rate. Another study was conducted that includes 24 volunteers with social anxiety. The study found that CBD lowered their heart rates and blood pressure and had better public speaking assessment results.
Can CBD Lower Blood Pressure?
Yes. Some research studies found that CBD has vasodilatory effects in the arteries that may improve blood flow and widen blood vessels. CBD also affects the heart by calming inflammation and relaxing artery walls. Below is the standard blood pressure reading for adults.
|Blood Pressure Category||Systolic (mm Hg, upper number)||Diastolic (mm Hg, lower number)|
|Normal||Less than 120||and||Less than 80|
|Elevated||100-129||and||Less than 8-|
|High Blood Pressure Stage 1||130-139||or||80-89|
|High Blood Pressure Stage 2||140 or higher||or||90 or higher|
|Hypertensive Crisis (consult a doctor immediately)||Higher than 180||and/or||Higher than 120|
Does CBD Thin the Blood?
Yes. Taking blood thinners decreases your risk for blood clots but can also increase your risk of heavy bleeding. CBD may act as a blood thinner, but taking CBD with other blood-thinning medications such as warfarin may contribute to additional blood thinning. People taking high doses of CBD may show abnormalities in blood tests. Consult with your doctor before taking CBD.
Does CBD Act Quickly on Blood Pressure?
Yes. For high blood pressure treatment, you can use CBD oil, capsules, juice for vaping, or CBD edibles. The effects will be felt depending on the method you’re going to use.
- Inhalation. Results from vaping or smoking CBD will be felt almost immediately after use since it’s absorbed quickly by the lungs.
- Sublingual. To use CBD sublingually, you may use a CBD tincture to place the oil under your tongue for at least 90 seconds before swallowing. Effects will be felt within a few minutes after use.
- Ingestion. Ingesting CBD capsules and edibles may take 35 minutes to 2 hours for results to take effect as they need to go through the digestion process.
What Kinds of CBD can Help High Blood Pressure?
There are three types of CBD: full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, and CBD isolate.
- Full-spectrum CBD: these products contain cannabis plants extracts and up to 0.3 per cent THC, which is federally legal. Studies have suggested that taking CBD products with THC may be more effective than using a single cannabinoid alone. Here are some products containing full-spectrum CBD.
Charlotte’s Web CBD Oil
- 17 mg/1 mL
- 100% vegan
- Broad-spectrum CBD products: these products have several cannabis compounds but they are THC-free and may sometimes contain traces of THC. Here are some products that contain broad-spectrum CBD.
ZenBears CBD Gummies
- 20 mg/gummy
- Organic, forest-friendly
- CBD isolates: these products only contain CBD. Here are some products containing CBD isolate.
Medterra Isolate CBD Oil
- 16 mg/mL
- CBD isolate
How much does CBD Lower Blood Pressure?
The dosing of CBD depends on a lot of factors including age, gender, body chemistry, and body weight. Typically, doctors recommend patients to use the lowest possible dosage which is 5 mg and may increase depending on their suggestion and what needs to be treated. Here is the standard dosing of CBD depending on the body weight.
|Weight||Low Dosage||Medium Dosage||High Dosage|
|25 lbs||2 mg||4 mg||6 mg|
|50 lbs||5 mg||10 mg||15 mg|
|100 lbs||10 mg||20 mg||30 mg|
|150 lbs||15 mg||30 mg||45 mg|
|200 lbs||20 mg||40 mg||60 mg|
Is CBD Safe to Use for High Blood Pressure?
CBD is generally well-tolerated and has a good safety profile but more research is needed to determine the accuracy and benefits of CBD. Some CBD products are inaccurately labelled that can mislead consumers. CBD can cause side effects such as diarrhoea, changes in appetite, and fatigue. It can also interact with other medications you’re taking and may cause them to not work properly. Consult your doctor first before using CBD for high blood pressure to know how much CBD you can take.
What are the Other Issues that CBD can help with?
Aside from high blood pressure, CBD can also help treat health issues including
For asthma, CBD acts as a bronchodilator and dilates a person’s respiratory airways. CBD may decrease your hyperresponsiveness in your respiratory airway by reducing sensitivity to triggers that cause asthma attacks.
Vertigo is a symptom and not a condition. When you have vertigo, you feel nauseous and dizzy. CBD helps treat vertigo by interacting with the serotonin system. CBD brings balance to our serotonin system which helps alleviate nausea.
- Chronic Pain
CBD is known to have anti-inflammatory effects. CBD helps reduce pain by acting on different biological processes in our bodies. CBD interacts with the endocannabinoid system. This system is responsible for regulating mood, anxiety, and pain perception.
- Anxiety and Depression
CBD is also known to help treat anxiety and depression in the same way. CBD alters a person’s serotonin levels. However, more human tests are needed to better understand how CBD works for anxiety and depression.
Studies have suggested that CBD can help treat epilepsy. There’s currently only one FDA approved CBD product in the market which is Epidolex. It is used to treat seizures and two rare and severe forms of epilepsy: Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome.
Studies suggest that CBD can also help treat symptoms of autism as it interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid receptors (CB1 and CB2), serotonin receptors, and help alleviate symptoms such as anxiety, nausea, vomiting, and pain.
Studies suggest that CBD helps with diabetes as it is known to have anti-inflammatory properties. Some research also suggests that CBD is effective in reducing insulin resistance and moderating blood sugars in people with type 2 diabetes.