CBD gummies are hands-down the most delicious way to enjoy the benefits of CBD. However, not all gummies are created equal! In this article, we’ll break down exactly what to look for when shopping for CBD gummies, and how to make sure you’re getting ‘bang for your buck’.
1. Hemp quality
Hemp quality is one of the single most important factors to consider when you’re buying any CBD product. This will have a major influence on the quality and effectiveness of your CBD gummies.
Make sure your chosen brand knows exactly where their hemp comes from, and which hemp strains are used. You want to know that they have control over growing methods, and that they don’t fill their products out with cheap, low-quality strains.
Next, check that the hemp is grown organically in a regulated jurisdiction, using natural, non-GMO methods. This guarantees that you’re not exposed to chemical fertilisers, heavy metals, and other nasty surprises.
2. Lab reports
Like any industry, the CBD industry has its share of sketchy characters. Some brands have been known to sell CBD products with only a tiny fraction of the advertised CBD (and some with none at all!).
So when you’re shopping for CBD gummies, how do you make sure you’re not just paying £40 for a pack of rebranded Gummy Bears? Easy – you read the lab reports!
Any reputable brand will get their CBD gummies tested by a third party to prove:
- • How much CBD, THC and other substances each gummy contains.
- • That the product is free of heavy metals, pesticides, mould, etc.
The best brands will happily show you the lab reports to back up their claims (we insist on it!). If they don’t make them readily available, or if they’re being shady or evasive, steer clear!
3. Full-spectrum, broad-spectrum or CBD isolate?
You’ll come across these descriptions when you’re shopping for CBD gummies. If you’re not familiar with them, here’s a quick rundown…
When the oil is extracted from the hemp plant, it still contains all the beneficial cannabinoids (like CBD and THC), terpenes, flavonoids, vitamins, and fatty acids. What you see on the label depends on what happens next:
- • When the hemp oil is used as it is, with nothing taken away, the final CBD product is called “full-spectrum”.
- • When only the THC is taken away, the final product is “broad-spectrum”.
- • When the CBD is extracted from the oil and used on its own, the product is known as a “CBD isolate”.
Each variety has its own benefits:
- • Full-spectrum provides the “entourage effect”. This means that when all the compounds from the hemp plant are taken together, they work in harmony and amplify each other’s benefits.
- • Broad-spectrum provides many of the benefits of the entourage effect, but is completely THC-free. This is ideal for people who want to avoid THC altogether.
- • CBD isolate doesn’t provide the entourage effect, but it’s great for people who want a pure, targeted dose of CBD.
4. Ingredients and additives
Some CBD gummies get their chewy texture from gelatin, an animal product. If you’re vegan, this is obviously a hard no! You don’t have to miss out though, as vegan gummies like ZenBears are made with pectin, a plant-derived alternative that gives exactly the same texture.
In addition to CBD and gelatin or pectin, CBD gummies will also contain ingredients like:
- • Sugar, glucose or syrup.
- • A stabiliser like citric acid.
- • Flavourings and colourings (we use natural fruit juices for both).
You really don’t need much more than this for a tasty, effective CBD gummy. Always check the label and steer clear of products with long lists of artificial additives and funny-sounding ingredients.
One of the best things about CBD gummies is the easy dosing. With oils, you often have to calculate how much CBD is in a dose, and then you have to fiddle around with a dropper bottle trying to get the right amount.
Not so with CBD gummies! You can find the dosage on the packaging, which will contain the CBD content per whole package (e.g. 600mg for a pack of ZenBears) and the CBD content per gummy (20mg). All you have to do is simply pop a gummy in your mouth for an exact, pre-measured dose.
If you’re new to CBD gummies, you might be wondering what to look for in terms of dosage. We’ve created more a detailed dosage guide here, but in short:
- • Start with a small dose of around 10mg CBD (that’s half a ZenBear).
- • Wait until you know how it affects you before increasing your dose.
- • Work your way up slowly to the ideal dose for you.
- • If at any point you don’t like the effects, drop back down to your last comfortable dose.
6. Extraction method
There are lots of ways to extract CBD from hemp oil, but not all of them create a quality CBD product. Look for CBD gummies made using ethanol or CO2 extraction, two gold-standard methods that preserve and protect the natural compounds in the oil.
7. Manufacturing standards
Getting certified by an international organisation like ISO or GMP is no easy job. A seal of approval from one of these big guns shows that your CBD gummies have been manufactured to the strictest safety and quality standards.
8. Industry associations
The regulation around the CBD industry is still pretty lax, which is why those aforementioned sketchy characters go unchecked. Membership with an industry group like the Cannabis Trades Association (CTA) is a sign of a reputable brand, because it shows they’re voluntarily committing to best practices and codes of conduct.
9. Customer reviews
If you want to know which CBD gummy brands are really delivering the goods, go straight to their customers! Check out independent reviews on websites like TrustPilot. You’re looking for confirmation that the CBD gummies are tasty, effective and so on, but you also want to know the customer service is up to scratch.
You’ll see a huge range of prices when you’re shopping for CBD gummies. It’s just not possible to create a truly quality product on a shoestring budget, so treat the budget end of the spectrum with suspicion!
That said, don’t automatically assume that the most expensive is the best. There are lots of great CBD gummies in the mid-range that tick all of the boxes above, so if you shop around and do your research, you should be able to find a good deal.
Or you can check out ZenBears!
We designed our tasty CBD gummy bears to meet all of these criteria and more. Voted the UK’s best CBD gummies, each ZenBear packs 20mg of broad-spectrum CBD and zero THC (and we’ve got the lab reports to prove it!)
We only use CBD made from organic, non-GMO hemp, processed in an ISO-certified facility and extracted with a gold-standard CO2 process. And because we want everyone to enjoy the goodness of CBD gummies, we use only natural, vegan-friendly ingredients.
High-quality? Check! Delicious? Check! Affordable? Check! What more do you want from a CBD gummy?! Learn more about ZenBears today.